Wednesday, October 09, 2013

OR: Examples of Concealed Weapons Carriers

Editor's note: Compiled from responses submitted to reporter Rick Bella, who asked readers to share their stories and observations about getting a concealed handgun license and carrying concealed weapons. Submissions have been edited for length and clarity. Watch for Bella's full report Tuesday on Oregonlive and Wednesday in The Oregonian. 


Ed Hurtley
Portland

I have had a Multnomah County-issued CHL for about 2.5 years now. I took a class with an instructor that was a referral from a friend. The class was very well run, and had a mix of people; white, minority, male, female, liberal, conservative. I have only carried my weapon concealed about 1/10th of the time since getting my CHL, although I do admit that I carry it more frequently after major events (Clackamas Town Center shooting).

I also carry it more often when going to certain events that I consider "higher-risk", like political events. (Yes, I carry for self-defense at political events. I am active in the Democratic Party, and with current right-wing "nutjobs" I see, I have a serious fear of having one show up to a Democratic Party event.) I comply with all federal, state and local laws regarding the carry of weapons.
When I got my CHL, the licensing process was painless and quick. I hear from friends who have gotten theirs more recently that it is still painless, but not nearly as quick. I have never pulled my weapon in self-defense, although I did reach for it once -- in a bike repair shop. A mechanic in the back was doing some work when I heard a REALLY loud "BANG." Then the mechanic fell down. I started to reach for my weapon when I realized he has just blown out a bike tire by overinflating it, and just fell down from shock.

One common stereotype of people with CHLs is that they are George Zimmerman-like vigilantes or "wannabe police," and tend to be conservative white males. But I know many women and minorities (racial, sexual orientation, and gender-identity minorities) who carry for pure self-defense. Some of them have been victims of hate crimes and now carry a weapon in the name of "Never again."



More Here at Oregonlive

No comments: