Friday, December 10, 2004

California: Officials urged to stop gun shows: "Supervisor Mark DeSaulnier is urging his colleagues to take a stand against gun shows at the Contra Costa County fairgrounds. The supervisors have no direct authority over Contra Costa's fairgrounds, which are owned by the state. However, DeSaulnier hopes to send a message to the 23rd District Agricultural Association, which oversees the events on that property. 'I have always felt that doing gun shows on public property is very much the wrong message to send,' DeSaulnier said. ... Attorney Chuck Michel, who represents a number of gun groups including the California Rifle and Pistol Association, [on] efforts to ban gun shows, [said] ... 'Gun shows are now some of the safest places on the planet because of the police presence and regulation. This is another part of the cultural war that Contra Costa is engaged in against people who own guns.'"


Illinois: "Old soldier" captures intruder; sheriff steals his guns : "Leonard Gamage is sore today, which is understandable since he spent more than 45 minutes fighting off an intruder late Friday. Gamage, 87, suffered some bumps and bruises in a pair of fights with the intruder, who is an unidentified 20-year man. Leonard told the Journal he does feel good about still having the ability to defend his home. 'I'm an old soldier,' Gamage said. 'I was in quite a few scuffles in the Army. I feel like I can still go if I have to.' ... Ironically, Gamage lost the very rifle that may have saved his life. 'I do not have a gun permit so they had to take my rifles,' Gamage said. 'The sheriff told me if I get my permit, he would see what he could do to help me get them back.'"

No comments: